Introducing Comsax - COMmunity Server Attachment eXporter
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a little utility for Community Server that would export attachments that were saved in the CS database to the filesystem, allowing you to shrink your database. I coined it Comsax for Community Server Attachment Exporter.
The usefulness of the program includes:
- Get files you thought were long lost out of the database
- Shrink the size of your database
- Make it easier to perform antivirus and backups of your CS attachments
- Export the attachments to their original filename
- Export the attachments to the CS attachment file structure
- Point it to your CS directory, and it will read your configured installation locations from the communityserver.config
- Remove the attachments from the database once the download is done
Comsax does require that you are able to connect directly to the database, so SQL Server either needs to be publicly exposed (ie, you can access it from Enterprise Manager or SQL Management Studio) or that you run it from the server. Since it works directly with SQL, it may be best to run it locally to prevent any issues with SQL timeouts.
Also, if you aren't able to connect directly to SQL or anything, you might ask your hosting provider if they could run it for you. Some of the Community Server friendly hosts would most likely have no problem. Running the application is pretty straight forward.
And as a final note, while the screenshot shows it is using Aero Glass, it is fully compatible with XP/2003, just no fancy display. I was messing around with some Aero development while writing it (as a side note: implementing Aero through standard WinForms sucks... more on that soon).
Unfortunately, Comsax isn't yet available. This is merely a teaser because I like torturing people before a holiday weekend. It will be available next week, after I do some testing against large databases.